We want to see Toronto’s laneways through your eyes.
As part of this year’s Laneway Summit, The Laneway Project is hosting a photo contest.
We're encouraging Torontonians to channel their inner urban photographer and capture what they love about Toronto’s laneways.
The contest aims to illuminate the beauty, character and untapped potential of Toronto’s laneways.
The winning entry will receive a cash prize. They top 10 finalists will be displayed and announced at the 2016 (Lane)way Forward Summit & Exhibit, and will receive a large-scale print of their photo.
Photos will be judged based on originality, creativity, composition, overall impact, subject matter relevance, and illumination of something interesting or unique about the laneway.
November 3 to November 23. Only entries submitted during this period will be eligible.
Photo Contest Rules
- Your photo must depict a laneway (or a thing, person, activity, etc. within a laneway) within the City of Toronto.
- Your photo must be taken within the last 5 years, by the person submitting the photo.
- The original photo file must have a minimum resolution of 3000x2400 (or 2400x2400 for a square photo) – the higher the better. While the uploaded image can have a lower resolution, you must have access to the original file that meets this requirement.
- Instagram filters are allowed; however, the photo should not be digitally altered beyond standard reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.
- Photos can be submitted by Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, by using the hashtag #LanewayForwardContest.
- Photos can also be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line THE (LANE)WAY FORWARD PHOTO CONTEST.
- Please use only one submission medium for each photo.
- You may enter as many photos as you’d like in the contest (but please keep it reasonable!). Any abuse of the email or hashtag will result in all photos submitted being disqualified.
- 10 finalists and one winning entry will be selected;
- The winning photo will receive a cash prize of $250;
- The 10 finalists will have their photo printed and displayed at The (Lane)way Forward Summit & Exhibit with the appropriate photo credit. (Note that the image may be cropped and minimally adjusted (e.g. for colour) for printing);
- The top 10 finalists will receive a large, high-resolution print of their photo, recognition at The (Lane)way Forward Summit & Exhibit and in The Laneway Project newsletter;
- Entries will be judged by The Laneway Project staff and volunteers;
- Winning photos may also be featured on The Laneway Project website (with your permission and the appropriate credit).
If your entry is selected:
- You will be contacted via the medium by which you entered
- You will be asked to provide, within 48 hours of our contacting you:
- Permission for The Laneway Project to use your photo for display at The (Lane)way Forward Summit & Exhibit on November 30, 2016;
- The original (higher resolution) image file by email;
- Your name, the location of the laneway depicted in the photo, and a comment or caption regarding the image;
- If the requested file and information are not received within this time frame, The Laneway Project reserves the right to select an alternate winner.
The Fine Print
Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license. You must be able to disclose when and where the photo appeared previously to The Laneway Project upon request.
If your photo includes one or more identifiable person(s), you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted in case your photo is selected, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to The Laneway Project upon request.
The following submissions are ineligible:
Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization.
Photos that violate or infringe upon another person's rights, including but not limited to copyright.
Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
Photos that involve harming, damaging, or putting in danger any person, animal, plant life, object, or structure.
Photos will remain the property of the submitter, who will retain all rights to any photograph submitted.
By submitting a photo, you grant The Laneway Project permission to a royalty-free, nonexclusive right during The (Lane)way Forward Photo Contest to display the photograph on The Laneway Project website and on the following social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, with appropriate credit of course.
If your photo is selected as a winner, you grant The Laneway Project permission to a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, after the contest, to use the photograph in The Laneway Project’s internal and external communications materials including, but not limited to, social media, website, publications, web and print publications and resources, and newsletter. The Laneway Project will endeavor to credit all photographs with the photographer’s name.
This photo contest is sponsored by The Laneway Project. It is in no way sponsored by, endorsed by, administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Please direct any questions or inquiries about contest rules to email@example.com.